Online fundraising is a great way to:
- quickly and easily raise money for SSMRF;
- share your reasons for supporting medical research with your friends and family;
- and immediately issue tax-deductible receipts.
In just a few simple steps, you can create a fundraising page, personalise it, and share it via email or social media. Here are our top tips:
1. Set a goal. SSMRF supports St George & Sutherland Hospitals to facilitate life saving and life-improving research. Click here to read all the areas that SSMRF currently funds, including trauma, heart disease, lung disease and cancer. You can have an immediate impact on health outcomes today – so make your goal ambitious!
2. Write a list. Choose ten family members, friends and colleagues to ask for donations. This will ensure your fundraising kicks off with a bang. You’ll have raised your first $100 before you know it.
3. Create an online fundraising page. If you’ve registered for an event, like the Beachside Dash, you’ll automatically receive a page. Or, contact us to create your own fundraising page. You’ll need to provide your personal details, and create a password.
4. Personalise your page. You’ll be prompted to take 4 Small Actions – Upload a Profile Photo, Add a Personal Story, Post an Update and Share Your Page’s Link. This is the easiest and most effective way to connect your fundraising page to your Facebook & Twitter, and share via email. These 4 Small Actions have been proven to raise significantly more funds.
5. Be the first to donate. Again, this has been proven to work! If you put your money where your mouth is, others will do the same!
6. Ask, and ask again. Don’t be afraid to ask multiple times, or in a number of ways. If you’ve tried emailing and Facebook, you could also try sending an SMS or instant message. You could add your fundraising link to your email signature, or add a story on your website. Make promises! If you reach your goal, then maybe you’ll run in costume…or host a bake sale. There are lots of creative ways to raise a few extra dollars.
7. Post status updates on your fundraising wall. Use your page to keep your donors up to date. You can add photos – of your training and motivations. Use the page to remind people why you support medical research.
8. Be specific. Don’t be afraid to ask for a specific dollar amount for your supporters to donate. Most times the reason people do not donate towards your fundraising is because they do not know how much to give, so be bold and ask for what you want.
9. Thank each and every donor. Last, but definitely not least – log into your fundraising page and remember to thank your donors! It won’t take long, and each donor will receive an email, letting them know you’ve left them a thank you message.
Here are some ideas of ways you can raise funds for medical research:
Drop into your local shops and clubs and ask them to support you on this challenge. Talk to the owner at your favorite pizza shop, hairdresser, gym or chemist and ask them to support you!
The most popular form of fundraising for our events! If it’s just at your place, down at the local park or at Bunning’s, BBQs are a great way to collect fundraising dollars!
Another popular fundraising event- if you love to bake (and are really good at it) people will hopefully line up for your wonderful food!
With a few prizes that can be donated for the winning team, and charging an entry fee, a trivia night can get a heap of people together to have a night of laughs!
With most cinemas offering discounted group tickets, and bundling with food and drink, a night at the movies can be very profitable for your fundraising tally!
One person’s junk is another’s treasure! Having an auction night, not only with your own unwanted gear but donated items as well, is a very simple way to fundraise!
Golf days, basketball/tennis/soccer knock outs even video game tournaments can be a really fun and engaging way to fundraise by charging entry fees to teams.
An oldie but a goodie! This is a very simple way of getting rid of unwanted items and using the profits for your fundraising!
A fun way to get your neighbourhood pets all clean for summer! You can even expand this to a car wash!
Host a dinner or costume party, make the food and drink and charge an entry fee that will add a boost to your fundraising tally!
Then after all your hard work – celebrate your success! Every dollar counts, and SSMRF couldn’t exist without your generous contribution – of time, effort, and money.
So, thank you, on behalf of our doctors and researchers, as well as the countless patients whose lives you will impact. Medical research saves lives and improves lives, and we couldn’t do it without you.
- If you have registered for an event like the Beachside Dash you will have a supporter page, start fundraising now, it’s that simple. Don’t know your supporter page link/URL, contact us at SSMRF and we can let you know what it is (details below).
- If you haven’t registered for a specific event yet, sign up, create your supporter page and start fundraising. It quick, easy and you will be able to share your page at the end of the process via social media with quick links.
- Registered, but not activated your supporter page yet. Contact the team at the SSMRF office, we can get you set up and on your way in no time.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9098 4040 during business hours for any questions or help with your fundraising.