The St George & Sutherland Medical Research Foundation is dedicated to supporting the impactful medical research conducted at St George and Sutherland hospitals. Through the generosity of our donors, we provide vital funding for innovative basic, translational, and clinical research, with a commitment to positively impacting both local and wider communities.
Doctors, scientists, nurses and all allied health professionals from both St George & Sutherland hospitals can apply for research through our annual research grants program. Learn more about how to apply for our research grants.
The Research Committee is responsible for recommending the research to be funded by the Foundation.
An SSMRF board member is appointed as the chair of the Research Committee, currently Professor Michael Grimm.
The independent committee comprises senior medical staff and highly distinguished research scientists from St George and Sutherland hospitals, who generously give their time and expertise to carefully peer review all grants submitted for consideration by the Foundation.
How to apply
- Annually, SSMRF will call for EOI (Expression of Interest), inviting innovative basic, translational and clinical research proposals.
- Applicants whose EOIs are deemed most meritorious move to the second step and are invited to submit a full application.
- All full applications are reviewed by the external Research Committee and scored against the criteria.
- The research committee recommendations are presented to the SSMRF Board of Directors for approval of funding.
- Successful applicants will sign a Grant Funding Agreement and provide progress reports, with results published on the SSMRF website.